Thursday, April 12, 2012

Asymmetric Maps

[:1]I'm sick of symmetry, and all I know of that isn't is the Dune map and the few ones based on real locations such as Australia and the world.
It cannot be true that out of all maps ever made for this game there's only like 4 that have spine enough to be asymmetric, can it?
Prove me wrong if you can. Much appreciated!|||I am excited that there will be a new person making awesome asymmetrical maps for everyone to enjoy. Looking forward to your good work, BmB, it's sorely needed, as you can see.|||I don't think he was saying he was going to make any... just that he's looking for them.|||I think he's trying to be cheeky, like if asymmetric was a curse word or something.|||Balance of Play
To ensure that a map can be played fairly in team games the map needs to be balanced.
Mapmakers would normally aim for symmetry because asymmetry would favor some start positions in a random spawn game. Symmetry is the easy way to obtain balance.
There are two types of map asymmetry:
Resources - markers
Landform - height map

Using a combination of these 2 elements a map can be asymmetrical and still be balanced.
Or it can be made deliberately unbalanced to felicitate 2 x 3, or 2 x 4 matches where two good players go against 4 noobies.
What type of asymmetry are you looking for in a game? Or are you complaining about maps that are copy/invert/paste exact opposing landforms?
I can think of quite a few maps that have asymmetrical landform:
3 on 2.v0001
Mass is almighty v5.v0001
Point of reach v3.v0001
Thehive.v0001
Thornbay.v0001 – my map – released
Stealth Ports.v0001 – my map - released
Highground – my map - not released
Libya - my map - not released
There are not as many maps with asymmetrical resources:
3 on 2.v0001
Mass is almighty v5.v0001
Libya - my map - not released – this is the only map I have made that has unequal resources.
roj|||I'm in want of maps that pose unique tactical and strategic challenges and benefits to each player.
For example, a map actually in the game, Haven Reef, despite being geometrically symmetrical, the central island and the outlying islands are different gameplaywise. So in a 3 or 4 player FFA or a 2v2 depending on how you set up the spawns, the map is effectively assymetrical. It's not much but it's a start.
Image|||BmB|||Nearly all my maps are asymmetrical in some way with quirky landforms, although the overall map will still be balanced playwise. One of my latest maps ‘Libya’ had deliberately unbalanced resources and people didn’t like it. So I modified it to be more balanced.
These maps are surely asymmetrical:
Thornbay
ELEnin
Libya
Highground
All are now released.
roj|||BmB if nothing else helps you find a map, I have a map pack of 44 map made by me. One or two of them I only fixed or added way points to. The range of sizes is from 5x10 to 20x40 that is my biggest map. All of them play best on FA, if playing against AI.
Close to the smallest map, holds 8 players.
Image
Largest map 8 player version also has a 4 player version available in the pack.
Image
File size is 53.45 MB
http://supremecommander.filefront.com/f ... _V1;119644
I believe you will find a map that is challenging among them.
Dragon Fly|||NOTE: You will get that the map does not exist message. It does, look on the right hand side list once you follow the link above. Click on the name and open it in another tab or window, and then you will see all and be able to DL it.
Dragon Fly

No comments:

Post a Comment