Thursday, April 12, 2012

Map editor for FA - status as of June 23, 2011. Working?

[:1]I just read some of the must read posts in this forum about getting a working map editor for FA but I'm no better off than when I started. With so much information, I'm totally confused.
Two totally newbie questions:
1. I directly downloaded one of the map editors but it wouldn't work for me. I put the file "supcom_map_editor.exe" (pre-alpha?) in the bin folder of the first SupComm version but each time I tried to save the file I named as the new map name, the map editor SC Editor, would kick me out to Windows with an error: "Supreme Commander Editor Application has stopped working...Windows can check online for a solution to the problem". Clicking on the problem details on the bottom of the dialog box I see that the Event name is APPCRASH and the Application Version is 1.0.0.1. The Application Timestamp is 4661dd91. I'm using Win 7 64 bit. I tried Win XP SP3 compatibility mode with the same result.
Is there a working map editor for FA as of today? Which one? Does it work in Win 7 64 bit?
2. After installing the latest updates to both Supcom and FA by downloading the patch files separately (outside of the game ...are we supposed to be able to check for updates from inside the game) I tried to access the GPGNET which I'm able to but I have a big sign that says 'Chat Only'. Is that because I created an account without registering the serial numbers? How do I go about registering the serials? How come nothing happens when I click on "Enter the vault" in the main window in GPGNet?
Thanks.|||I have the same version as you and it works perfectly in Windows XP... .
And no there is no map editor for FA.|||Yeah he is right … there is no special FA version of the editor.
The editor runs from the old SupCom ‘bin’ folder and saves to the old SupCom ‘maps’ folder. Maps are the same for SupCom and FA, the extended FA markers are added using a 3rd party marker editor.
Win7 64bit running WoW is not all its cracked up to be… just because you have installed 8Gb of RAM don’t mean 32bit FA will see more than max 2.7 GB. Also the 64bit registers waste time by not caching 32bit game data in the right form for FA to use. A win7 machine will have problems with the Vault and will not run the editor easily or at all. Also a win7 machine, I don’t care if it’s an i7 980ex, will not run FA Sorian AI or AIX as well as a less powerful 32bit machine. People say the game runs the same no matter who hosts, and OS is not an issue… that is a joke… 32bit host will always run a more intelligent and stronger AI. I speak from vast experience over hundreds of games using win7 64bit with i7 920@3.2GHz and 9550@ 4.1GHz that produce a weaker AI than a WinXP 32bit Q6600 @ 3GHz.
That statement will demand a response from the Win7 fanboys. :roll:
roj

No comments:

Post a Comment