Thursday, April 19, 2012

[Beta 1.4] MARS: Olympus Mons

MARS: Olympus Mons [BETA 1.4] (29/04/07)



Image



Olympus Mons volcano from Planet Mars, generated with MGS MOLA MEGDRs Topographic maps.

Few made modifications to make it playable.



The top of the volcano is accessible for every ground units, but inside of the volcano's crater is only accessible by aircraft transport, and have a lot of ressources.



- size: 20x20km

- players: 2, 4, 6

- teams: 2

- AI: yes



The AI will not use air transport to get inside the crater. Maybe i will be able to script for that later.



changelog:

1.4

- resources spawn with players

- "type" info to scenario.lua



1.3

- all mass deposit are now constructible



1.2

- new colors

- starting points reordered



1.1

- 6 Players

- Scattered ressources

- AI support (won't use air transport to go into the crater)

- File name changed (delete the old one !)



DOWNLOAD



Author:

DTC|||I like both the mars maps, very cool!|||finally a only land 20x20 map which looks nice!



But PLEASE spread the ressources a bit more and PLEASE make it for at least 6 players.|||Cool! I once made a map based on the same terrain for Dawn of War. Anyway, nice work, but ^what Optimus Prime said. And please could you add AI support? This should be an awesome map for Skirmishes.|||DTC|||Optimus Prime|||Updated

1.0 -> 1.1|||I think I know how to do it I think you need to script the map somehow so the AI uses air units. I know it is possible after all the campains the AI does it but they must be scripted somehow to do it,|||Updated

1.1 -> 1.2|||Textures! And nice ones!



Red Barrens? :)|||i like all your maps DTC, but for whatever reason i am rar file deficient, what do i need to do to use these maps|||fedratsailor|||http://www.7-zip.org/



7-Zip is a better choice as its completely free and handles all the common archives.. Perfect for someone who just wants to get to the good stuff you guys pack up.. 8)|||Cool Thanks for the link, did not know about that one...|||That's a nice map, played it last night; rushed for the middle against a supreme AI and won. There's a problem with one of the mass deposits on the southeast side of the volcano, though, and the upper right hydrocarbon inside the crater is only accessible by airborne engineers (it seems).



Other than those two booboos, great map!



Really cool texture and stuff.



I think that perhaps, in answer to your poll, you could have three versions of the map. One middle rush, one scattered and one both. I like BOTH, personally, but I'm also into the long game ....



What about a 40x40 with two volcanoes, or an 80x80 with 2-4 volcanoes?

Maybe with some lava dividers, a la "Lava And Two Hills" from TA..?



That might be pretty wicked ...



Great work, all that being said!|||Updated

1.2 -> 1.3|||Updated

1.3 -> 1.4|||Hmm. My commander isn't spawning on this map in Skirmish.



I extracted the folder to the Maps folder. Do I need to rename anything?



I get "MARS Olympus Mons" coming up in the map list in game options.



Nice though. I zoomed around the map to have a look, I just wanted to have a look at a 3D modelling of the largest volcano in the solar system! :-)



How did you process the MGS data? MapInfo, ArcGIS or something else? Does it come in a gzip like the Earth's 30 second ETOPO data? I used to work with ArcGIS, working on a Digital Elevation Model for China, its amazing what the program can do, although I never envisaged using it to make maps for games.



cheers,

Astro|||@Astroman: DTC didn't update his maps for the new patch yet.|||moving right along....



EDIT: Just followed the suggestions here http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=11182 and now have the ACU spawning in this map.



Uh oh, what have I done? I am now getting involved with coding. No! I didn't want to do this.....arrrgh!



cheers,

Astro.|||As I've posted in the CEP thread there are still issues with the spawning of commanders in FA. Since the textures and the style of the map are excellent and unusual is there a mapper who is willing to have a look into the map and upload a fixed one?|||I've got the version to work with the suggestions posted above: BETA 1.4b



However there is a graphical glitch. A black plane above the actual terrain. It "disappears" on close zoom levels when the camera is below the plane. Maybe you can help me with that?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image|||Just lighten the entire heightmap a little. This has been discussed many times.|||It's caused by having the map/world border. I disabled it (I got a 10FPS increase, at least) but to fix it all you do is raise the heightmap.|||Thx for this tip. This helps though my heightmap looks crappy. I edited the alpha curve and decreased the curve maximum by 5%. This works better than decreasing global contrast or replacing certain colors but still height steps appear. Are there good tricks to avoid those steps when flatten a height map without using manual brushes? (lighten doesn't help since the height just raises and the World Border raises, too)

Btw, I'm using Hazards Map Editor since the official doesn't work for me @Vista x64.

Link to an image of the map with edited heightmap

No comments:

Post a Comment