Monday, April 23, 2012

Problems getting started: Which programs? Where?

Hi all. I'm already involved in the mods forums so you may have seen my posts, and I am trying to get into mapping too. I have hit upon several problems getting started, even after reading through the stickies on this forum and downloading things, I have got nowhere. Partially because the map-editor I found on the vault is not FA compatible.



Can some kind soul give me a list of things to download so I can map-make for FA? I have a design ready and waiting to get onto the computer, but first I need a tool which doesn't crash



Thanks :)|||i can't help you with the actual map editor, however when it comes to writing map scripts, i suggest you read this thread for the more-correct scripts to use (the ones typically found elsewhere will break mods under certain conditions).|||you have to use the supcom map editor its the only one. their never was a map editor made for FA you just have to make it in the supcom map editor and then copy it over to FA and make your AI markers for it.|||For me the one tutorial that made it possible to play my maps in FA is in the link below. In the tutorial link below there is also talk about a startup script, I recommend to you not to use that startup script but the script from Bulletmagnet.



Tutorial:

http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/Official_m ... r_tutorial



Startup Script from BulletMagnet: (better mod support)

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=33831



Once you made your map, used the tutorial and the startup script to make it playable you can copy your map folder from SupCom to SupCom FA.



But then there is the AI. Also a good solution to that one:



HazardX Marker Editor:

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic. ... 87&start=0



Also you talk about a crashing tool, I think you mean the official editor V4 (pre-alpha). What is the error message that you get when it crashes? (you have to be in SupCom mode to download that one in GPG Vault, not in FA mode)|||It says it cannot find a moho.dll or something. I own SupCom 1, but it is so scratched I can't re-install on this machine. I still have it installed on my old machine though, so I think cloning the file into the FA folder may work.



Thanks|||I don't think cloning the moho.dll to your fa folder will work.. try this instead:



You could clone your entire SupCom directory from your old pc to your newer pc. Although this probably won't make SupCom work at least the editor will work, I think. After you made your map, added the startup script and AI markers you can copy & paste your map to the FA/maps directory in order to make your map playable under FA.



---edit:



Another great link which you can use:

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=34350



This will explain how to make FA specific things work in the editor like decals. Be warned, the editor will take longer to load a few things.|||I have cloned the files across, and that thread has been very helpful. Looks like the map editor v4 is working too, so the map should be done in about a month. (I have exams, and this thing should look gooood:))



On an unrelated note, and I may start a new thread for this, does anybody know if it is possible to put the FA UI into the first SupCom to play through the campaign, or put the SupCom campaign into FA UI?

No comments:

Post a Comment